Saturday, October 10, 2009

Recipes: Carrot noodles, nut butter & coconut milk shake


I was so happy when The Housemate got back earlier this week & started to help feed me Paleo food.

Here are some stuff she did up with some simple how to instructions:

Banana Avocado Coconut milk shake
* Paleo diet doesn't allow fruits juices cause it doesn't have fiber & has high glycemic index. But since the whole fruit is dumped into the shake, I figured it should be alright.

My breakfast on Day 7 after swimming

Normally I'd make banana avocado shake with yogurt, which is absolutely divine. But since we can't take yogurt, coconut milk was used to replace it.

Ingredients:
1 banana (or 2 if they are small)
1/2 an avocado

Add small amounts of coconut milk and water until you get a blend you like.

Do I like it? Still prefer having it with yogurt, though The Housemate loves it with coconut milk more.

Carrot noodles
*The Housemate scavenged for vegs in the fridge and came up with this 'accidental recipe'


Ingredients:
Shredded carrot
Avocado cubes
Sesame seeds
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar *technically not very Paleo, but since it's naturally fermented from grapes, am closing an eye to this.

Make sure you shred your carrot shreds long (like noodles), then add the other ingredients and mix.

Do I like it? Like The Colleague said, it taste like pasta. Which is great if any of the Paleo Pals are craving for pasta. Personally am not a big fan of balsamic vinegar so if I make it next time I will replace it with lime juice.

Paleo Mooncake
Technically it's nut paste with banana, but The Housemate had some mooncake the other day and claimed that it taste pretty much alike!

Since I can't have my dessert fixes, this (and durian) have become the replacement for my sweet tooth :-)

Ingredients:
Banana
Mixed nuts (whatever you have available)
Mixed seeds (whatever you have available) *The Housemate recommends sesame seed which gives it extra flavor
Olive oil

Grind the nuts and seeds to a powder form. Add a little olive oil till it has a nice paste like texture.

Paleo pals can eat it with bananas or even on its own. Others can have it with bread.

Do I like it? I HEART IT. It's orgasmic. To be honest, the first time I tried it - my taste buds were a bit suspicious about the nutty butter taste which is less sweeter than my regular peanut butter. But after trying it a couple of times, I'm addicted. Seriously a must try!

2 comments:

  1. Very innovative recipe and they look very delicious too. You can soon become our master chef!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrot noodles, butter nut and cocconut milkshake sounds great! It would be really so tasty as well as nutritious! Thanks for this great recipe!

    ReplyDelete