Friday, October 9, 2009

Paleo Zone, Or Paleo Or Zone?

Thanks guys for inviting me to blog here.

I remember when I first heard the term "zone diet". When I started crossfitting, I started by working out as hard as my body could take it, without knowing much about a good eating habit. I just drank alot of aprotein shake and cereals & milk. However, that didn't help alot on maintaining a good weight. So, I started to learn about zone dieting. At first it was greek to me, later I started to understand what the @#%!@#$ are this blocks is all about. Then I started measuring my meals - one measuring cup, one kitchen weighting machine. I was measuring my milk, weighting meat, and as well as oats and stuff like that.

After about 2 weeks of measuring, I realise I don't have to measure anything as I already knew how to estimate. Then there on, it took of by itself. However, I started off feeling very lethargic all the time. Every meal wasn't enough for me, I keep feeling hungry. And when I do feel hungry, I'll drink milk.

After bout 4 weeks of zoning, my body started to get adjusted to the diet. I realised that I CANNOT miss a meal. Even for snack, else I'll get weak. 5 meals a day = 3 main, 2 snack. A main meal can last me for 5 hrs, 6 hrs max. Snack can last me for 3 hrs max. 3 months after zoning, I was too thin. Like freaking 71kgs thin (I'm 75kgs now). I was wondering what I did wrong. Then I did some research and realised this is normal. This is when they play around with the blocks, finding the sweet spot. So I increased my blocks from 4 to 5 blocks for each intake besides fats which that was multiplied by 2 (4 x 2 = 8 blocks). Then I started gaining, but however not alot.

As u guys know, I work on weird shift. And this shift actually affects my performance on working out cause I had always readjust to different sleeping time. My pattern is all over the place and body had to keep adjusting and this somehow affected my performance and recovery.

The whole thing about zoning and paleo-ing. It's about lifestyle & habit. Change your lifestyle (the food we eat), and you'll see gains. Both physically and mentally. I hate the feeling I get after eating rice/bread/noodles. It makes me feel lethargic which makes me smoke more. So zoning/paleo makes me feel good after everryy meal. EVERY MEAL.

Today's menu :

Breakfast (non-paleo)
4 scramble eggs
a bowl of oats + 24 almonds

Lunch (Paleo zone)
150 grams of steam chicken breast (cooked in a microwave oven for 5mins)
1 head iceberg lettuce
24 almonds

Snack (non-paleo)
1/2 cup plain yoghurt
6 almonds

Dinner (Paleo zone)
Same as lunch :P

Inbetween breakfast and lunch there lies a cup of black coffee :P

4 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing the meals. you made paleo zone more easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting about how you started zoning and paleo-ing. Think a lot of people would relate to it...

    I feel really good having Paleo meals too. But don't know about maintaining it as a lifestyle after 30 days :-) well we'll see....

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks paleo buds!

    here are a few of my other sample meals

    http://crisxfit.blogspot.com/search/label/Zone%20Meal

    ReplyDelete
  4. I relate to the zone part.. very identifiable indeed.

    ReplyDelete