Saturday, October 17, 2009

How's it going


Some people at PushMore have been asking us Paleo Pals how's paleo going and how does it feel. Here's a chronology of my thoughts, challenges, emotions & learnings

Day 1 - 2
  • Didn't know what to eat
  • Lethargic, very lethargic
  • Constantly hungry
  • Ate a lot of fruits (bananas, apples, pears, papaya)
  • Ate lots of dried fruits and nuts
  • Felt weird eating so much fruits, normally at the most I'd only have 1 serving of fruits. But most of the time I wouldn't even eat fruits.
  • Coffee without milk and sugar? OMG
Day 3 - 7
  • Energy bounced back to normal and remained almost constant throughout the day.
  • Felt very sick of eating fish almost every day.
  • Challenging to figure out what to eat.
  • Realized that I'm changing a habit. eg: Instead of fixing a sandwich in the morning, I'd eat fruits and nuts. Instead of having rice or noodles, I would double up my veggies and meat. But still couldn't get the amount right and still felt weird after meals.
  • Tummy felt like it shrunk a lot.
  • Felt pretty optimistic about the 30 day challenge.
  • Trying out all different types of fruits which I never tried such as peaches and passion fruits.
  • Hungry every hour. So I have to keep eating fruits every hour.
  • Happy to have successfully cooked new dishes such as steamed fish, fried fish, etc.
  • Coffee without milk and sugar? OMG
Day 8 - 14
  • Energy still remained high and constant throughout the day.
  • Decided to pace out my workout days to alternate days so that I don't tire out too much and also to save time on travelling.
  • Sick and tired of Paleo
  • Wanted to quit a few times a day
  • Fed up of cooking my own meals
  • Grumpy that there are so many things I couldn't eat
  • Lots of cravings for coffee with milk, chocolate, cheesecake, soy milk.
  • Depressed walking pass the processed food aisle
  • Appalled by how expensive eating out Paleo style is
  • Discovered that durian is in session and that durian is of course, paleo!
  • Big binge out session on durian which made me stop having cravings and feel much better...
  • Coffee without milk and sugar? OMG
Day 15 - 17
  • Figured out the right proportions for meals, so they are feeling more complete as the days go by.
  • Realized I need to understand how to portion out my meals and snacks so that I don't over compensate and feel like crap (too full).
  • Ok, I'm greedy.
  • Tummy doesn't feel so shrunken anymore, in fact feel kinda bloated at times (hence the over compensation realization).
  • Making an effort to read up about nutrition and make sure I have a balanced intake of food throughout the day.
  • Ok I'm going to stop buying durians.
  • Excited to try and cook new dishes. Good thing I'm cooking faster these days.
  • Coffee without milk and sugar is feeling less OMG.
Want to try Paleo?
The best way I find to start is to decide and commit to 30 days. It is a lot easier once you've made a commitment rather than trying for just a meal or just a day.

Do I need to prepare yourself?
1 trip to the grocery shop should be enough to prepare yourself.

Also, keep yourself surrounding by supportive people (such as us Paleo Pals). It helps a lot!

Hope this helps you decide on whether your want go try Paleo or not.

2 comments:

  1. You've inspired me!!! I wanna go Paleo =) I am in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms Z, you speak every word of my heart. I soooo feel you.

    ReplyDelete