Sunday, October 4, 2009

Day 3 - Challenges Every Meal

My dear Paleo Pals, the past 3 days have been an adventure to me, and i truly believe to all of you as well.

What are the challenges i've faced these 3 days?

Day 1 and Day 2 Challenge

My appetite has been under constant cravings for sweets. I craved for chocolate, ice cream, cakes, after every single meal. It felt like drug addicts constantly look forward to another dosage. The cravings were so bad that i kept munching nuts to feed the desire. It set me thinking how much sugar i had consumed over the past few years.

Day 3 Challenge

(1) Breakfast

I no longer look forward to my coffee in the morning. It used to be the highlight of my day, it used to brighten up my mornings (or afternoons as i wake up quite late at times). I was used to sipping my coffee slowly (in fear of finishing it too fast that i can't savour every single sip) while going through my emails, news, wods, to-do-list, thinking, ahhhhh... what a wonderful day it is. Since i started this paleo diet, the coffee experience has been, less than enjoyable. I do not look forward to my second cup, AT ALL. Period.

(2) Lunch

Luncheons were usually meat with vege (if i have working luncheon) or organic meals (if i eat around my neighbourhood). Thanks to the support i have from Eddie, cousin and family, they have been really understanding and supportive of my paleo diet.

Having said that, yesterday was the mid-autumn festival. It's our family practice that we have vegetarian for lunch especially on 1st day and 15th day every month. What were the dishes that were served during lunch?

- curry vege
- vegetarian char siew (starch)
- vegetarian goose (i think, just remember some deep fried stuff, anyway, starch again)

I looked at the dishes in dismay. In the end, pinched some vege from the oily curry paste, then, just had uncooked lettuce leaves and 2 egg whites for lunch.

(3) Snack

So far, snacks have been filled with fruits and nuts. LOTS OF THEM. Gone with the days where i had Grande Skinny Latte, almond biscotti or marble cheesecakes, or ice cream, or yoghurt for snacks.

(4) Dinner

Mid-autumn festival's dinner left me speechless.

- curry chicken
- fried chicken
- fried fish
- stewed pork
- hokkien mee
- glutinous rice
- vege (my life saviour, finally!!)

The above dishes were my dad's favourite, and my aunt cooked the above to celebrate his return from a 3-weeks business trip in China. Without much protest (which i normally do), I fed myself with lots of vege, 2 tiny pieces of curry chicken and few pieces of fish. Then ended with 1 kiwi, 1 apple and lots of nuts.

(5) Supper

Went to the neighbourhood starbucks with friend. My stomach was growling looking at the food. Oh, this was not good at all. Ordered brambleberry juice instead of all the other beverages. Friend ordered Chocolate Fudge Cream Cheesecake (oh man! This was going to be a tough test to my will power).

Then, i found a fantastic reason to taste it! Since i'm on hybrid diet, i can eat cheese! HAHA. So, i picked up the fork and tasted the cheese part of the cake without touching the chocolaty cake bit. After a few mouthful of it, i started to get sick of it. Ewwwwww.... too sweet, it was too sweet, it was way toooo sweet for my palate. No no no, i didn't wanna taste it anymore (gulped down big big cup of warm water to wash out the sweetness from my palate).

Further to the above supper experience, i think i've made significant progress. I hope.

Hope my paleo pals have also make progresses or discover your newself during these few days.

Stay strong. We always have each other.


karen

2 comments:

  1. I totally relate to you regarding the coffee bit!!

    Desserts not so bad, only when I eat out at shopping malls then very suffering seeing all the variety of food..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha I LOL'd at the menu that you have to suffer through.

    ReplyDelete