Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Hybrid of Zone Meet Paleo

Throughout of whole of today, despite moving from meetings to meetings, hearing different ideas from different voices and faces, i couldnt help but kept thinking about the 'encouraged food', 'food which you should take in moderation' or 'food you should avoid' and worst of all, the 'nightshade' food list. Is paleo diet ever feasible? Having great determination to resist all sorta tasty delicious, scientifically-proven healthy, packed with nutrients, or some even packed with anti-oxidants (in layman, make u look younger, ladies) food itemssssssssssss (notice the number of S-es).

Being a crossfitter, many of us have also come across another eating diet, the famous, Zone Diet. Zone Diet requires you to measure your food according to "blocks". A block is a simplified unit for measuring the 3 macronutrients in your food (protein, carbohydrate and fat). Thus, it requires some counting and measuring if one wishes to follow Zone Diet strictly.

Having exposed to these two diets and given my eating preference and habits:-

(1) Lazy, I am lazy in food. I don't cook and don't know how to cook, don't like to think much when comes to food, prefer hassel-free meals. Always visit the same eateries and rotate among them. At times, i find eating a chore.

(2) I don't like meat. I eat fish, some pork, not a lover to chicken and lamb, definate no to beef and shellfishes like prawn, crab, clam, mussel, oyster, etc.

(3) I need fibre, lots of them. For someone who has lazy bowel movements like mine, fibre is the magic potion to kick-start my day with a big grin. If u see me ordering salad most of the time, it's not that i'm soooo health concious, rather i really need it to ensure i have a smooth and easy day the next morning.

After due deliberation of the above, i've come up with a little diet crossover - a hybrid of paleo + zone diet. What does it mean? This is the formula which i have allegedly taken from Crossfit teachings.

"EAT MEAT AND VEGE, NUTS AND SEEDS, SOME FRUIT, LITTLE STARCH AND NO SUGAR"

This is the Rule No. 1 of Zone Diet, something which i have learned in Sydney. I find it extremely useful and easy to apply. No measurement of grams, oz, cups nor quantity, no counting of blocks. Simplicity is the key in life, i reckon.

Little deviation: I'll continue to consume eggs, cheese (in moderation), milk (in moderation) and beans for protein intake. (fyi, paleo diet restricts one to consume 6 eggs in a week, strictly no beans, dairy food nor tofu, meanwhile, for zone diet, eating cheese and other dairy products are not prohibited). Also, I'll consume more nuts in my diet to provide me with the energy that i need for my workouts.

Today, 30.09.09, is the last day of my sweet indulgence. I'm gonna say goodbye to my sweet indulgence to the below in the next 22 hours.



*gazing at all the desserts*

karen

No comments:

Post a Comment